DIY Penguin Game
Apply a coat of black spray paint to can in a well ventilated area. Let dry.
Use the exacto knife to cut a rectangle into the can for the mouth.
Cut felt into a triangle shape for beak. Apply a strip of hot glue to the top of the beak and affix it just above the hole you cut.
Grab the white paint pen. Paint on eyes and a belly.
Use the orange construction paper to make little fish. Write the numbers 1 -20 on them. Now play!
Ways to play:
- Number recognition – ask kids to feed the penguin a fish with a specific number on it.
- Counting – kids feed penguin numbers 1 through 20 in numerical order.
- Math facts – feed the penguin two different numbers and figure out the sum in its belly.
- Hide ‘n Seek – hide fish around the room and have kids find them to feed the penguin.
- Penguin Habitat – make the penguin a home constructed out of marshmallows and toothpicks
- More than Math – make different sets of fish featuring shapes, colors, letters and more.
Note: Have a young child or one needing some extra help with fine motor? Substitute an oatmeal container for the baking powder can. A bigger opening and larger fish are easier to handle.